Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default actiive UV blocker.

On 10/23/2020 05:41 AM, Frank wrote:
On 10/23/2020 12:13 AM, micky wrote:
I was looking for a good product to restore the clarity to my headlight
lenses, and the Sylvania 3-step kit said, "This UV Block Clear coat is a
specially formulated polymer coating with active and passive UV
blockers"

I understand passive UV blockers, but what are active. Do they run up
to the sun and keep it from sending out UV?

I can't copy the url because it's on the other computer.

Anyone happy with what they used for headlight lenses?

Off hand, I might think the active blockers deflect UV and the passive
are antioxidants that prevent the damage.

A minor quibble but I think you have it backwards:

https://www.brenntag.com/en-us/indus...-for-coatings/

Something like benzophenones that absorb UV seem to me to be the active
ones. Semantics...