Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

J. Clarke writes:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 17:26:26 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/20/2020 3:48 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

In general diesel pays more tax. In general its 15 cents more per gallon with both state and federal. Where I live that is about the difference in price per gallon at the pump. Factor in the 10-20-30% better efficiency of diesel motors over gasoline motors compared to the extra 7% cost of diesel per gallon (0.15 / 2.30) and you are going to have to drive a lot of miles to make diesel pay for itself. Or really need the extra power of a diesel engine.

You clearly do not live in New England. I have seen $1.00/gallon
difference between diesel and unleaded. Investigate and it's state
tax.

What evidence to back up that claim. The rate chart as of Jan this year
shows for:

The sign at the gas station.

There is a gas station on my way to work that sells high-test for $4.00
a gallon. The same premium gas is available at Costco for $2.75 a
gallon, and is around $3.00 gallon at most other gas stations.

One sign at one gas station? Meaningless data.

Total Excise Tax + Fee/Tax for Gasoline and Diesel, respectively to be:

Maine 30.0 31.2
Vermont 30.81 32.0
New Hampshire 23.825 23.825
Massachusetts 24.0 24.0
Connecticut 25.0 46.5 (+8.1% on petroleum tax on gas)
Rhode Island 35.0 35.0

Only Connecticut has any significant difference at all.

Adding the classic whipping boys of NY, NJ

New York 25.45 23.65 +unstated petroleum sales tax
New Joisey 41.4 48.5 unstated petroleum fee

Nothing there to approximate a dollar difference owing to taxes/fees

That's now. When gas is $4 a gallon check again.

In other words, you can't support your assertion.