Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 17:38:37 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 3:19:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:37:18 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:25:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 01:58:55 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

But fluorescents with an electronic ballast don't have 120 Hz or 60 Hz modulation (flicker).
If you work with moving machinery, that's an important advantage.

LEDs are no different.

False. A 4 kHz AC ballast for fluorescent tubes sustains a plasma that gives off light
continually, but the same with LEDs doesn't get the same effect, because LED turns
dark in a microsecond, but fluorescent turns dark in a millisecond.

Put an electronic ballast behind both and call me again.

No need; the plasma lifetime in fluorescent tubes is known, and their ballasts always deliver AC instead
of DC because of filament sputter erosion. The AC will make LEDs go dark at zero crossings,
because those LED filled tubes (I've dissected some) have only diodes, no energy storage.

You forget the persistence of the phosphor used to create the light
color.
\
From reaserchgate.net:

The alternative current driven light emitting diode (AC-LED) lighting
system has attracted a great deal of attention because of the high
luminous efficiency and the simple electric circuit. However, this
system causes the unacceptable flicker due to rapid fluctuations in
the voltage of the power supply. In order to compensate the flicker
effect in AC-LED, we proposed the use of yellow persistent luminescent
garnet phosphors. The time evolution of luminescence intensity
measurement of Ce³? and Cr³? co-doped Gd3Al2Ga3O12 phosphor using a
modulated blue laser diode was performed. From this measurement, the
flicker percent of Ce³? and Cr³? co-doped Gd3Al2Ga3O12 phosphor is
calculated and showed to be about 60%. This result demonstrated that
persistent phosphor is expected to solve the problem of flicker caused
in AC-driven LED lighting system.

Also many led replacement drivers use well filtered switch mode high
frequency power supplies. - the LEDs see virtually pure DC.