Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 4 foot LED "shop" lighting

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:37:18 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:25:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 01:58:55 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

But fluorescents with an electronic ballast don't have 120 Hz or 60 Hz modulation (flicker).
If you work with moving machinery, that's an important advantage.

LEDs are no different.

False. A 4 kHz AC ballast for fluorescent tubes sustains a plasma that gives off light
continually, but the same with LEDs doesn't get the same effect, because LED turns
dark in a microsecond, but fluorescent turns dark in a millisecond.

Put an electronic ballast behind both and call me again.

The 'regular-ballast' and direct to AC wire LED variants go dark 120 times per second.
SOME, not all, LED light supplies give filtered and regulated DC current, but the
sales literature doesn't tell you about that.

Bingo! Some. Not all.

You can see odd strobing effects on some video recordings, if the light flickers, and it can
kill remote controls or make my machine tools seem stationary when in full powered motion.

For cheap units, sure. That really messes with the PF. My cheap
fluorescents are like that. I can hear the breaker buzz in my
entrance panel. It's quite loud with all the tubes running. These
are really cheap units. Electronics ballasts can increase the
frequency to where it's not a problem.