Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Fibre.

On 12/10/2020 15:38, alan_m wrote:

About 10 weeks ago a gang of 4 turned up and dug a hole at the end of
the street followed a bit later by aÂ* green cabinet being installed.
Since all I've seen is purple coloured cable being pulled through
existing ducts. I haven't seen any houses being connected up. Previous
we had a letter saying that the cable would be installed within a six
week period. We have also has the cold calling saleswoman knocking door
to door trying to get people to sign up. I'm not sure about the success
rate but who in their right minds would buy on the doorstep?

I suspect that that had someone turned up here offering FTTP when we
were all stuck with 6km of ADSL soggy sting and 1.5Mbps if you are luck,
they would have had their hand bitten off up to the ankle!

I did have a quick look at their offerings - maybe faster speeds for the
same price as I'm paying but I already get around 38Mbps/9Mbps so no
need for more speed.Â* From memory the contract had to be with EE.

You may get lower latency and jitter as well as faster speeds. However
much depends on what you do with it as well as the capabilities of the
ISP, since it sounds like you are on a 40/10 FTTC setup running at close
to theoretical max speed anyway (and could no doubt go to 80/20)

--
Cheers,

John.