Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Fibre.

On 12/10/2020 15:09, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 12:37:10 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

https://www.cityfibre.com/
They have just run fibre down my street in Southend on Sea and they
appear to be offering fibre to the premises broadband in conjunction
with (EE?)

How are they doing it? Digging trenches or using existing ducts.
Google give lots of answers about this but nothing that I've found
about how it's actually being done.

About 10 weeks ago a gang of 4 turned up and dug a hole at the end of
the street followed a bit later by a green cabinet being installed.
Since all I've seen is purple coloured cable being pulled through
existing ducts. I haven't seen any houses being connected up. Previous
we had a letter saying that the cable would be installed within a six
week period. We have also has the cold calling saleswoman knocking door
to door trying to get people to sign up. I'm not sure about the success
rate but who in their right minds would buy on the doorstep?

I did have a quick look at their offerings - maybe faster speeds for the
same price as I'm paying but I already get around 38Mbps/9Mbps so no
need for more speed. From memory the contract had to be with EE.