Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Euro locks - key blocking

In article , tim...
wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
"Thomas Prufer" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 09:42:13 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

I've got some Euro locks on external doors, but people keep locking
them and leaving the key on the inside. This means I can't put a key
fully in from the outside to unlock it.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Feature.

This can be changed by a locksmith in the more expensive cylinders,
i.e. Kaba, Keso etc.

It would have been better if those locks had been designed so you *can*
put a key in from the outside and open the door, while still leaving a
second key in the inside lock in case you need to exit in an
emergency. They could have a slide-latch which disables opening from
the outside if required for extra security when you know that everyone
who lives in the house is safely inside.

or just install one with a thumb turn on the inside

there's no need to have a key-lockable lock on the inside

If someone has broken in via a window, an easy=open door makes it far
easier to escape with his ill=gottten goods. Advice from our local Police
Crime Prevention Officer.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England