Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Fixing through tiles.

In article ,
wrote:
If you really mean you've got 35mm from tile to brick, I'd just bung
filler in & redrill. The filler creates solid sides for your new hole,
which you can then fill as needed.

The 35mm is only where I measured it. The Victorians used the most
irregular bricks where they knew it was going to be plastered, and kept
the best one where on show.

My worry about simply filling the void is that the load will be taken by
the tile - unless it bonds well to the brick. As the plaster ain't up to
taking much load.

If the plaster is anything like mine (10mm+ thick) and a sandy type mix
squirt some 50:50 water:PVA mix into the hole and let it dry. Then do a
filler of your choice. This will stabilise the plaster around the hole
and make it less likely to crumble.

As has been mentioned before there are different types of wall plugs and
if you have been using the standard brown/red/blue/yellow type then a
different type of plug may work better if the inside of the hole has
been stabilised with PVA.

These days I prefer this type
https://www.toolstation.com/fischer-...ce-plug/p98292

The kind of rigid tube you need to go down the hole is the kind found on
(disposable) pump action soap dispensers that you may have in your
bathroom, wash-room, or next to the kitchen sink. The tube should just
pull out of the pump head. Choose a soap dispenser with a fairly thick
soap as the tube is likely to have a larger inside bore.One I'm just to
put in the recycle sack is 5mm inside diameter and not bendy.

https://tinyurl.com/y5yb85nj

Ive just tried the fit with two ink refill type syringes that I have.
It is a loose fit on a 30ml syringe and too small to fit over the outlet
of a 100ml syringe.

Just a random thought: with a suitable tube you could fill it with a
substance of your choice and use the back end of a suitably sized drill
bit as the plunger to push out the contents