Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Graham Rob Graham is offline

Default Restoring 1970's planer - gearbox oil

On Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 8:19:06 AM UTC+1, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 08:16:11 -0700 (PDT), Rob Graham
wrote:
If I went down to 320 that would make it easier for the motor but would there be a danger then of oil getting passed the shaft seals?

Any woodworking machine that's used tends to accumulate wood dust everywhere,
and that soaks up any oil just fine:-)

FWIW, this planer:

https://lueders-partner.com/assets/images/katalog/hulvershorn-1/203.jpg

has a gearbox in the bottom for the feed, with a filler cap and a little
dipstick. I was giving it a little TLC (for the first time in many years), and
checked the oil level, and it was bone dry. It had been run like that in a
production setting, for very many years...

I'd consider flushing the gearbox, i.e. running it with a cheap(er) oil and no
load, and then draining that once the crud has come loose, and only then fill
the "good" oil.

Thomas Prufer

This task has not progressed other than I have now got the motor and gearbox out of the planer/thicknesser casing. I was intrigued by a plated screw low down on the gearbox housing which was totally inaccessible when in the P/T, so unscrewed it to be met by much outflow of oil - quick, quick, back in again!!

I did appear this was the oil level marker, and that there might be a bit more oil than this level . I drained all the oil out and on a quick guess I reckon that the oil level should be about a quarter of a litre - I drained off 1 1/2 litre!! Slightly explained the lttle bit of leakage past the seal. So well maintained by 'just throw some oil into the filler on the top'!!

I got as far as getting this motor apart to find both star points (dual speed 2 pole / 4 pole motor) but am having an on-going CH boiler problem which needs instant addressing.