Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Euro locks - key blocking

In message , at 07:16:52 on Sat, 10 Oct
2020, Jethro_uk remarked:

I am astounded at how easy it's been for uPVC door/lock manufacturers to
completely and utterly get most of the population to throw away 2 basic
design features of Yale locks with nary a whisper.

(I know this because when we fitted our firs uPVC door I posted here
about them to a general "You what ?" from everyone ...)

1) - the fact you need a key to lock it from the inside 2) - the lack of
a latch as standard so you can close the door locked without needing a
key.

The second I asked a few fitters about to a blank look. Although I note
with satisfaction that my sons front door does have one ...

The second one is more to do with the way the doors work, than the lock.
Almost all uPVC doors require you to lift the handle up to engage the
(usually multiple) bolts.

And ?

The multiple bolts make the door close more firmly and keeps out
draughts. More secure too.

No different to the fact that the traditional front door had a level
action lock as well as the Yale lock with latch.

Very different - that's just one bolt.

Just lazy design and marketing.

If you want *only* a Yale lock, I suppose you could fit one, and disable
the door's normal locking mechanisms.
--
Roland Perry