Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding a room thermostat

On 09/10/2020 18:35, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 9 Oct 2020 at 13:59:22 BST, "The Natural Philosopher"
wrote:

On 09/10/2020 12:53, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 9 Oct 2020 08:15:26 GMT, Roger Hayter wrote:

I am sure your boiler has a way of switching off on demand water
heating, which would save a few quid over a year by stopping short
cycling to keep the water heat exchanger hot if you don't mind not
having hot water immediately available at some hours,

It's a combi, *hours* to heat it's internal heat exchanger or even
built in small buffer store? A decent gas boiler ought to be able to
reheat a whole hot water cylinder in an less than an hour.

When I had a 2 bed flat the HW cylinder would reheat in 20 mins. When
the time switch died, I didn't bother replacing it, just switched the
water on when I needed it. Heating was on a room thermostat and
manual on/off switch. BIG drop in gas bill...

I calculate that at best I spend less than £100 a year heating water for
washing

Compared with £2000 for central heating.

You must have lived in a rabbit hutch to have had your CH bills that
low, that reducing the minimal losses through a hot water tank saved you
anything at all...

I can hear the boiler fire up after I have had a shower. For about 10
minutes. To get the house up to temperature on a cold morning make that
thee hours, and on a really cold morning its more like all morning -
then I switch to 'permanently on', for the CH.

People Who Do Sums can easily prove to themselves how much the heat loss
is from a small lagged tank even at 60°C, which if it is inside the
house is only keeping the house warm, compared with the heat loss from
four walls a roof and a floor in a detached house...
...During my divorce I stayed with a friend who should have known
better, who insisted the kettle never be filled to more than the amount
required for the hot drink.

I spent some time on the calculator and handed him over 50p 'that should
make it up for the next three months'

But you never get back the extra minutes waiting for it to boil!

30 seconds, not minutes

And I do other things like unload the dishwasher...in those 3o seconds

Even People Who *Can* Do Sums are often too lazy or stupid to *do* them.

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat