Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Euro locks - key blocking

On 09/10/2020 16:33, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 15:29:25 +0100, nothanks wrote:

On 09/10/2020 09:42, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got some Euro locks on external doors, but people keep locking
them and leaving the key on the inside. This means I can't put a key
fully in from the outside to unlock it.

Is this a bug or a feature?

If you're going to change the cylinder then get one with a "thumb turn"
so you don't need to leave a key anywhere near the inside of the door.

The problem (or "problem") with that is if someone breaks in when you are
out, they simply open the front door to exit.

Advice used to be that once someone had broken in it was better not to
impede their escape because of risk of further damage or confrontation -
I assume that's still the case.

I am astounded at how easy it's been for uPVC door/lock manufacturers to
completely and utterly get most of the population to throw away 2 basic
design features of Yale locks with nary a whisper.

(I know this because when we fitted our firs uPVC door I posted here
about them to a general "You what ?" from everyone ...)

1) - the fact you need a key to lock it from the inside
2) - the lack of a latch as standard so you can close the door locked
without needing a key.

The second I asked a few fitters about to a blank look. Although I note
with satisfaction that my sons front door does have one ...

This is provided by a thumb turn lock