Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Fixing through tiles.

A fixing into a plastered brick wall through tiles.

Most of the fixings went well - wall plugs pushed through the tiles into
the brick. But one obviously hit the soft old mortar, and won't tighten.

Anything that could be squirted through the hole to give a decent fixing?
Or any other ideas? I'm already at the limit of the longest screws I can
find in that diameter.

My solution to this type of problem would be to first remove the plug,
then get a syringe (without needle - the type used for filling ink
cartridges) and force clean water into the hole. Mix some filler and
after again wetting down the inside of the hole force the filler into
the hole using the back end of the drill bit to pack it to the back of
the hole. If you don't wet the hole sufficiently the water in the filler
will be immediately sucked out by the dry brickwork and become somewhat
ineffective. Either allow the filler to dry and re-drill for the plug or
whilst still wet re-drill very slowly by hand to the exact depth of the
plug and insert the plug. Allow everything to dry before inserting the
screw.

A sloppy gritty sand cement mix often works better than a smooth filler.