Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Euro locks - key blocking

On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 13:18:40 +0200, Thomas Prufer wrote:

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 09:42:13 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

I've got some Euro locks on external doors, but people keep locking them
and leaving the key on the inside. This means I can't put a key fully in
from the outside to unlock it.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Feature.

This can be changed by a locksmith in the more expensive cylinders, i.e. Kaba,
Keso etc.

Thomas

With my old 5-'lever' locks I was able to shorten the keys a bit and it
/just/ worked, but it was fraught: the shortened keys were marginal on
unlocking and the clearance was so small that it didn't always work. The
risk was too great, especially as locking was less unreliable than
unlocking!
The current 6-lever ones can't be done that way. The only way is to leave
the inside key dead upright so that it can be pushed back and perhaps
withdraw it by a notch. It's still in the lock for emergencies and the lock
can be operated from outside.
I have a couple of thumb-turn locks but they don't have a deadlock position.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away