Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Euro locks - key blocking

In message , at 10:16:47 on Fri, 9 Oct 2020,
NY remarked:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I've got some Euro locks on external doors, but people keep locking
them and leaving the key on the inside. This means I can't put a key
fully in from the outside to unlock it.

There aren't many locks where you can insert a key from the outside if
there is a key on the inside.

My current house is the first time I've noticed this.

The standard locks fitted to patio doors etc will accept the second key
- it feels as if it has gone all the way in - but it will not turn if
there is a key on the other side.

Several times when I've gone out to do the shopping and left my wife
working from home, she has put the key on the inside after I've gone
(even though I've locked the key from the outside and left the inside
key out of the lock), which means I get back and find myself locked out
- until I can make myself heard by knocking/ringing.

Welcome to my world

Now I tend to leave *two* doors with no key in them, so if the front
door is blocked by a key in the lock, there's always the back door.

My house is on a rather narrow plot and there's no side passage. It's a
three minute walk round the block (the back gate is on a different
street) to get from one outside door to the other.
--
Roland Perry