Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding a room thermostat

On 09/10/2020 08:02, Andy Burns wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I'd use a programmable thermostat in the living room then either
remove the existing timer, or set it "on" 24x7.

Sounds a bit complicated.

If you don't want the wifi integration fair enough, the models without
that are certainly not complicated, e.g.

https://www.thefloorheatingwarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/info-Slimline.html

You forgot to add the link to the receiver required to work with that
Heatmiser transmitter; both would total around £70.

They are *all* complicated compared to what the OP wants, and I am
speaking as one who has used wireless 'stats for around 15 years.

Our first one was a Drayton in about 2005, when we had a new boiler
installed. It worked ok for three years until the receiver failed. It
chose its time to fail carefully - we were just packing up the car to go
off on Christmas Eve! It was freezing outside, and I luckily had kept
the old wired thermostat in the "junk box". I connected it up in
parallel with the Drayton receiver using a flying lead. It worked well
enough to keep the house tolerably warm while we were away.

The second was one to replace the Drayton. Of course, I needed a new
transmitter as well to go with the new receiver (not Drayton. The price
of a new Drayton receiver alone was more than the prices of the
transmitter+receiver of the new one. I can't remember the make, but it
came from TLC). The new one had a faulty transmitter; it showed only all
the LCD segments or none. I took it back and the replacement was fine.
Except that the "Chinglish" manual was next to useless, as the setting
up directions for the 4-position DIL switch for channel selection were
nonsense. It took me some time to work out that their "left-right" meant
"up-down", and what they referred to as switches 1, 2, 3, and 4 were
actually 4, 3, 2, and 1. When I finally got the transmitter and receiver
to talk to each other it worked well for 4 years until we moved.

A couple of years ago we had the boiler here replaced. I wanted a
wireless stat again to replace the wired stat in the hall. We got a
Salus RT510RF (an earlier version of
https://salus-controls.com/uk/product/rt510rf-plus/). We don't need
the timer programming as we are here all the time, but do move it around
to where we are. It works well as a thermostat, but its physical design
is poor. It falls over very easily, and it is too easy to push one of
the buttons when you pick it up and change a setting accidently.

If the OP wants simplicity and reliability, an old-fashioned wired wall
thermostat is the way to go. It will also be the cheapest.

--

Jeff