Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adding a room thermostat

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 15:09:24 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

The other is that if I'm comfortable in my living room (which also has a
wood-burner) there's no need to keep any of the rest of the house heated
by the boiler. Because I'm not in any of the rest of the house

Wouldn't put the stat in a room with a heat source it's not
controlling. Wood burner makes living room nice and warm, stat is
satisfied and rest of house doesn't get any heat.

However I'd fit a programable thermostat rather than the simple

on/off
kind.

Do you mean different temps at different times of day?

Yes, far better than the single temp kind.

It would be more usual to put the room stat in say the hall and

set a
little low (as a hall is generally cool) so it knocks off the

heating
when the rest of the house is up to temperature.

I don't mind having a cold hall.

That's fine you set the stat to what ever is required to knock the
heating off when say the bedroom is at the temp you want. As you have
a wood burner in the living room the hall, provided it has a
radiator, is probably as good a place as any, or perhaps your
bedroom. This is where a wireless programable stat comes in handy as
you can experiment to find the best place for it.

--
Cheers
Dave.