Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Adding a room thermostat

On 08/10/2020 11:49, Roland Perry wrote:
Currently I have a boiler with a controller that simply turns it on (for
CH) during pre-programmed hours. Rads have thermostatic valves.

I'd like to add a room thermostat in the living room [running additional
wiring isn't an issue] but need to know if it can simply be put in
series with the timer-control.

I realise that the heat in the rest of the house will suffer if the
living room is warm enough, but surely that's a natural consequence of
any room thermostat.

Have you considered a wireless programmer/thermostat in place of your
control? That gives you the option of a portable control so e.g. if you
wake up early you can turn the heating on early or turn the heating up.
Of course there are options to do the same and more with a smart phone
but a wireless programmer/thermostat starts at c. £50.

--
Robin