Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Change tap washer without draining down...

On 07/10/2020 17:05, newshound wrote:
On 07/10/2020 16:52, Jimk wrote:
Andy Bennet Wrote in message:
On 07/10/2020 16:01, Jimk wrote:
Any top tips to avoid draining down a hw cylinder in order to
Â*Â* change a tap washer?

something that I can bung in/over the seat & reduce losses whilst
Â*Â* I fart with the jumper?

Or ought else?

TIA

Just turn off the cold water feed into the HW tank - hot water is drawn
off from the top. Open the tap in question to run off a small amount of
water (if any), replace washer.

Hmm to clarify, all of those valves are somewhat crusty &
Â* unwilling to operate properly & I fear things could go t1ts up in
Â* a trice....

As the cylinder is only on the floor above I was hoping for a
Â* "limit the spillage" plan rather than a "potentially make tons
Â* more work & inconvenience" plan.

It's not like there's oodles of PSI behind it.... Just need to
Â* control/limit the flow for the 5 mins it takes to swap a
Â* washer....

Have a wet and dry vacuum cleaner to hand, and a change of clothes.

You *might* get away with a bung if you have one the right size. Another
option would be a second pair of hands: as long as you don't let the
water run hot, the palm or the ball of the thumb will make a seal.

Not if the water is at 60C :-). Turn the immrsion heater and heating
off for few hours, or run away the hot water to waste.