Posted to uk.d-i-y
williamwright williamwright is offline

Default Tradesman - Price markup on parts

No, it was no better or worse than the competition.

Ah - sorry I thought it was the brand all the trade bought.

So if the trade buys what it fancies on a whim since they are all much of
a much, you can hardly expect a maker to have absolute loyalty to that
trade?

The fact that the big players were in fierce competition meant that
there was little to chose between them, but most people stuck to one or
the other brand for the sake of familiarity, because they liked to use a
particular wholesaler who sold one but not the other, being mates with
the rep, etc etc.

Actually, when a lot of us told the reps of firm A that we were changing
to firm B because A was selling to the sheds at lower prices than they'd
give us, there was quite a kerfuffle in the trade. I remember several of
us at firm A's stand at a show really giving them a piece of our minds.

Firm A made some pointless cosmetic changes to the products they sold to
the sheds and removed their branding, but it obviously didn't work
because it wasn't ling before the sheds changed to a different, foreign,
brand. That was fun because the channel groups were different! After
that they started to sell wideband only.

Most people can't put up their own external aerials. So just what a
shed may sell them for is neither hear nor there.

Actually the sheds sell ever such a lot of aerials. People find a way:
1. Loft job
2. Window cleaner job
3. Local handyman job
4. Son-in-law job
5. Risky rooftop DIY job
6. Balcony job
7. Under the eaves job.

So not so different as any job round the house.

Not, nothing a competent DIYer could do. Luckily a lot weren't
competent. Oh how we laughed.

Bill