Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Arlen Holder Arlen   Holder is offline

Default WiFi out to 800 feet

On Tue, 06 Oct 2020 16:35:44 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Small antennas, long range, high speed... pick any two.

Hi Jeff,

We go way back, decades, regarding Fox's/Snit's childish rants on Usenet...
o Nobody takes Snit/Fox seriously (just google for his name for reference).

Don't worry about Snit (Michael Glasser is who Fox's Mercantile really is).
o He admitted it himself, years ago, when we caught him with the same IP

What I want to say is that I THANK YOU for helping the OP out.
o I know there are adults on s.e.r who, like you, are knowledgeable.

The whole point of adding s.e.r and a.i.w was that the Windows group needed
your expert assistance, which I, as an adult, for one, greatly appreciate.

Let's hope the OP reads your advice and takes it to heart for his problem
o Adults like you can help him, and, in doing so, you help all of us.

It's what Usenet is supposed to be all about...
o To that end, I include the OP's original post, verbatim, below:

o WiFi out to 800 feet
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/uEhm2dTCc2o

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: WiFi out to 800 feet
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 23:28:01 -0400
I didn't want to hijack the other thread but Arlen got my interest
with those antennas.

If I wanted to hit a LAN based camera 800' away, what would I need to
to do (clear LOS).

The objective would be to attach it to an existing security DVR that
has 2 unused WiFi portals.

I am trying to avoid the cloud/phone thing but that seems to be what
most of these ones I see are doing these days. I assume once they are
on the network I could coax my DVR to see them.

Do I need an enhanced antenna at both ends or would the dish at the
host end give me enough signal strength to talk?

Thanks
--
There are only two kinds of people on Usenet - one of whom adds value.