Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Default WiFi out to 800 feet

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 13:59:43 -0400, wrote:

I have a good mount at the house, a DSS dish bracket that I am not
using. In fact I was thinking the dish might work with a little
hacking. I think the far end will end up on a 6" wood pole so that
should be pretty stable. I guess I need to do more reading on this.
Our plan B is to buy another WiFi connection from the cable company
but the cost is prohibitive and it requires 120v that we don't have so
that is even more money. I see plenty of solar WiFi cameras. They all
seem to want to use the cloud and I would rather keep this whole thing
in house if possible. I have enough residents protesting the camera
in the first place and if we are shipping it out to the internet that
would bother more of them. Some are ****ed at how many Ring cameras
are in the neighborhood. A black helicopter has them hiding under the
bed. ;-)

You must live in my neighborhood!

You bring up two important issues:
a. Power at the remote site 800 feet away, and,
b. The Fresnel zone of a pole only six feet tall

You can look up the Fresnel zone stuff separately, which, in my experience,
is more theoretical than practical since you just shove more directional
beam power to overcome the losses due to lack of height.

Power is an issue.

I'll ping "alt.internet.wireless" & "sci.electronics.repair" with this
post, who may be able to assist you more so than I can in how to set up the
power (be advised to ignore the three infants on s.e.r if they respond).

What we do here in the Santa Cruz mountains, where the zoning is 40 acres
per household, is "bucket routers" which are simply routers plugged into
anything we can plug them into, between homes when we need to clear
obstructions to our Line of Sight (LOS) WiFi transceivers.

But your suggestion of solar seems far better than bucket routers.
--
A "bucket router" is just a router under a bucket for weather protection.
Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On 10/4/20 7:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
[ nothing of any importance, as usual ]

**** the **** off.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 20:51:21 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

On 10/4/20 7:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:

**** the **** off.

As always, Fox's Mercantile (aka Snit) proves he's an infant.
o Let's see if the other two infants on s.e.r show their colors
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/4/20 8:57 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 20:51:21 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

On 10/4/20 7:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:

**** the **** off.

As always, Fox's Mercantile (aka Snit) proves he's an infant.
o Let's see if the other two infants on s.e.r show their colors

Like I give a **** what you think.
And I ain't Snit.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The cross-posting troll is back!

Please do not feed the troll!

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

wrote:

On 10/4/20 7:59 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
[ nothing of any importance, as usual ]

**** the **** off.

Oh, be nice. 300ft is about the limit for omnidirectional antennas on
both ends of a 2.4GHz link. For 800ft, directional antennas with some
gain are going to be required. To get some decent speeds, 5GHz
instead of 2.4GHz.

Small antennas, long range, high speed... pick any two.

Drivel: For your amusement, a Model 15 TTY used as a terminal for a
Linux computah. Handling upper/lower case was a kludge and handling
arithmetic and programming symbols was impossible. No mention of
termcap or terminfo:

"Using a 1930 Teletype as a Linux Terminal"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLZ4Z8LpEE

Try it with your Model 15. That should keep you out of trouble for at
least a little while.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On 10/6/20 6:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
300ft is about the limit for omnidirectional antennas on
both ends of a 2.4GHz link.

I tried linking the shop to the house on 2.4 using 24" antennas
at both ends. Distance was 1400 feet.
Never could get it to work.

For 800ft, directional antennas with some
gain are going to be required. To get some decent speeds, 5GHz
instead of 2.4GHz.

I bought a pair of Ubiquiti LiteBeam M5 with 23 dB antennas.
Absolutely solid link.

"Using a 1930 Teletype as a Linux Terminal"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLZ4Z8LpEE

I've seen that before. I don't have a Model 15. I have a Lorenz
Lo-15c (made in Germany under license from the Teletype Corp.

Try it with your Model 15. That should keep you out of trouble for at
least a little while.

Actually, I use it on i-Telex.
https://www.i-telex.net/

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On Tue, 06 Oct 2020 16:35:44 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Small antennas, long range, high speed... pick any two.

Hi Jeff,

We go way back, decades, regarding Fox's/Snit's childish rants on Usenet...
o Nobody takes Snit/Fox seriously (just google for his name for reference).

Don't worry about Snit (Michael Glasser is who Fox's Mercantile really is).
o He admitted it himself, years ago, when we caught him with the same IP

What I want to say is that I THANK YOU for helping the OP out.
o I know there are adults on s.e.r who, like you, are knowledgeable.

The whole point of adding s.e.r and a.i.w was that the Windows group needed
your expert assistance, which I, as an adult, for one, greatly appreciate.

Let's hope the OP reads your advice and takes it to heart for his problem
o Adults like you can help him, and, in doing so, you help all of us.

It's what Usenet is supposed to be all about...
o To that end, I include the OP's original post, verbatim, below:

o WiFi out to 800 feet
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/uEhm2dTCc2o

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: WiFi out to 800 feet
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 23:28:01 -0400
I didn't want to hijack the other thread but Arlen got my interest
with those antennas.

If I wanted to hit a LAN based camera 800' away, what would I need to
to do (clear LOS).

The objective would be to attach it to an existing security DVR that
has 2 unused WiFi portals.

I am trying to avoid the cloud/phone thing but that seems to be what
most of these ones I see are doing these days. I assume once they are
on the network I could coax my DVR to see them.

Do I need an enhanced antenna at both ends or would the dish at the
host end give me enough signal strength to talk?

Thanks
--
There are only two kinds of people on Usenet - one of whom adds value.

Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

You ignorant ****, ask Jeff who I am.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 9:34:25 PM UTC-4, Arlen Holder wrote:

We go way back, decades, regarding Fox's/Snit's childish rants on Usenet...
o Nobody takes Snit/Fox seriously (just google for his name for reference).

No, he isn't. I've known Jeff on other newsgroups, for over 20 years.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 10:42:48 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Don't worry about Snit (Michael Glasser is who Fox's Mercantile really is).

Wrong. I'm not sure if Jeff wants me to reveal his real name, so I'll
just keep quiet.

Hi Jeff Liebermann,

These worthless pieces of **** like Fox's Mercantile are who ruin Usenet.
o Not people like you and me who are purposefully helpful & who add value.

You know me since we've communicated in email, where you know I don't
bull**** and that I'm always purposefully helpful in intent & detail.

As are you, where you've helped me a lot with the local WISP over the
years, where you know that what I say is always intended to be helfpul.

By way of stark contrast, this proven worthless piece of **** that goes by
the nym Fox's Mercantile is the opposite of both you and me.

If this worthless piece of **** Fox's Mercantile is not Snit, then he acts
EXACTLY like Snit does - which is essentially the same thing in effect.
--
Proven worthless pieces of **** like Fox's Mercantile are what ruin Usenet.
Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless

On 10/7/20 12:42 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The other Jeff and I go back before that to when we both lived in the
Smog Angeles and Orange County areas and were involved commercial and
ham radio. Later, I moved to the SF/Monterey Bay area, and Jeff moved
to Texas. We reconnected when we were both involved with SCO
Unix/Xenix products.

That would have been in the early '90s.

Don't worry about Snit (Michael Glasser is who Fox's Mercantile really is).

Wrong. I'm not sure if Jeff wants me to reveal his real name, so I'll
just keep quiet.

That's actually pretty funny, since it's right out in plain sight in the
"From" field on all the postings I make.

But then this is the "due diligence" I've come to expect from Arlen.
Zero and none.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 7 Oct 2020 15:00:41 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

That's actually pretty funny, since it's right out in plain sight in the
"From" field on all the postings I make.

If it wasn't so sad that Fox's Mercantile proves my point in every post, I
could take solace in the fact he _always_ proves to be a worthless pieces
of ****.
a. unhelpful to the core in every post
b. infantile to the max in his every word
c. lacking in even the most basic of adult cognitive skills

Notice _every_ post from Snit (Fox's Mercantile) is an infantile post
of the kind we'd expect from worthless pieces of **** like he proves to be.

But then this is the "due diligence" I've come to expect from Arlen.
Zero and none.

Which is pretty funny since this worthless piece of **** who uses the nym
"Fox's Mercantile", among others, just proved, in front of all of us that
he lacks the adult cognitive skills to even attribute a quote correctly.

Proven worthless pieces of **** like Fox's Mercantile, who clearly proved
multiple times in this thread alone they lack the capacity to add value -
are who ruin Usenet for everyone else.
--
Fox's Mercantile just proved, yet again, he lacks even the most basic
cognitive skills necessary to even attribute a simple quote correctly.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/7/20 5:58 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Proven worthless pieces of **** like Fox's Mercantile, who clearly proved
multiple times in this thread alone they lack the capacity to add value -
are who ruin Usenet for everyone else.

You're pathetic.
But you're also funnier that ****, to watch spin around in circles.
This thread had nothing of value in it to begin with.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 06:24:58 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

This thread had nothing of value in it to begin with.

Fox's Mercantile , aka Snit,

You really don't have continue to prove you are a worthless piece of ****.

Either help the OP, or stop your incessant infantile whining, Snit.
--
People like Fox's Mercantile, aka Snit, are who ruin Usenet for all of us.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/8/20 6:34 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
You really don't have continue to prove you are a worthless piece of ****.

You do it every time you open your yap.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 09:53:40 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

You do it every time you open your yap.

You can't deny that you sniff my asscrack everywhere I go, Snit.
o I don't stalk you, Snit.... you stalk me.

It's always _you_ who sniffs my asscrack, Snit.
o You did it in this thread, as you _always_ do, Fox's Mercantile (Snit).

All you worthless pieces of ****, Fox's Mercantile, aka Snit, are who ruin
Usenet for those of us who are purposefully helpful and knowledgeable.

You _hate_ that fact so much that you follow my asscrack around the
Internet (see proof of EVERY one of your posts) sniffing my ass.

You did it in this thread, so you can't deny you sniff my asscrack, Snit.

Every time I post, you're sniffing my asscrack - that's how much you _hate_
that you know yourself that you can't possibly ever add any adult value.
--
You can't deny that you sniff my asscrack everywhere I go, Snit.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/8/20 10:52 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
It's always _you_ who sniffs my asscrack, Snit.

Projecting are we?
Bwahahaha.....

Go take your pompous ass and **** yourself.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 7:35:54 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Drivel: For your amusement, a Model 15 TTY used as a terminal for a
Linux computah. Handling upper/lower case was a kludge and handling
arithmetic and programming symbols was impossible. No mention of
termcap or terminfo:

"Using a 1930 Teletype as a Linux Terminal"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLZ4Z8LpEE

Try it with your Model 15. That should keep you out of trouble for at
least a little while.

Years back, I believe in the long defunct Byte magazine, I read an article about someone who typed 8 bit ASCII while riding a bike, using 4 microswitches on each handlebar grip. I think that would one-up the Teletype terminal.

I have tried to find the article without success. The claim was that he wrote his monthly column while on vacation bicycling.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 11:08:33 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Bwahahaha.....

You prove my point of your always infantile responses every time you post.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/8/20 4:29 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 11:08:33 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Bwahahaha.....

You prove my point of your always infantile responses every time you post.

You're as predictable as a duck in a shooting gallery.
Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 16:52:30 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

All your posts prove my point that you post without ever adding any value.

You sniff my asscrack because you _hate_ that what I say about you is fact.

You, Snit, will never stop, and you're proving that for me with every post.
--
It's people like Fox's Mercantile (aka Snit) who ruin Usenet for all of us.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/8/20 5:32 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
You, Snit, will never stop, and you're proving that for me with every post.

Ya know, you must be a special kind of stupid.
I'm not Snit, nor have I ever been Snit.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 17:36:39 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

I'm not Snit, nor have I ever been Snit.

And yet, you admitted it, when we caught you, & you act _exactly_ like Snit.
--
Worthless pieces of **** like Fox's Mercantile are who ruin Usenet for all.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/8/20 6:49 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 17:36:39 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

I'm not Snit, nor have I ever been Snit.

And yet, you admitted it, when we caught you, & you act _exactly_ like Snit.

Jesus ****ing Christ on a Pogo stick you're ignorant.

You have caught nothing except a case of your own arrogance.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 19:31:06 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

You have caught nothing except a case of your own arrogance.

And yet, Snit, you always follow me around the Internet like a lost puppy.
--
Worthless pieces of **** like this Snit Fox's Mercantile, ruin Usenet.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/8/20 7:34 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 19:31:06 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

You have caught nothing except a case of your own arrogance.

And yet, Snit, you always follow me around the Internet like a lost puppy.

Two things, I am not Snit. Let go of your dick long enough to figure
that out.

And I'm just doing my job to show you for the fraud you are.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 19:46:29 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Let go of your dick long enough to figure
that out.

Every post from you proves you're an infantile piece of ****, Snit.
o You sniff my ass like a love-sick stray dog all around the Internet.
--
Worthless pieces of **** trolls like Fox's Mercantile are who ruin Usenet.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/8/20 8:21 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
You sniff my ass like a love-sick stray dog all around the Internet.

Projecting again?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 10:54:44 -0700 (PDT), Tim R
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 7:35:54 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Drivel: For your amusement, a Model 15 TTY used as a terminal for a
Linux computah. Handling upper/lower case was a kludge and handling
arithmetic and programming symbols was impossible. No mention of
termcap or terminfo:

"Using a 1930 Teletype as a Linux Terminal"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLZ4Z8LpEE

Try it with your Model 15. That should keep you out of trouble for at
least a little while.

Years back, I believe in the long defunct Byte magazine, I read an article about someone who typed 8 bit ASCII while riding a bike, using 4 microswitches on each handlebar grip. I think that would one-up the Teletype terminal.

I have tried to find the article without success. The claim was that he wrote his monthly column while on vacation bicycling.

Most likely Steve Roberts (N4RVE):
https://microship.com/bikes/
https://microship.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/QST-life-on-a-megacycle.pdf

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/8/20 8:21 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Every post from you proves you're an infantile piece of ****, Snit.

Face it Buckwheat, they're on to you.
https://alt.windows7.general.narkive.com/RWuhcNCf/arlen-holder-is-dustin-cook-aka-diesel-aka-char-jackson

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 1:54:48 PM UTC-4, timot... wrote:

Years back, I believe in the long defunct Byte magazine, I read an article about someone who typed 8 bit ASCII while riding a bike, using 4 microswitches on each handlebar grip. I think that would one-up the Teletype terminal.

I have tried to find the article without success. The claim was that he wrote his monthly column while on vacation bicycling.

Archive.org has scans of all issues, along with electronics and Amateur radio magazines.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 21:19:05 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Projecting again?

Worthless pieces of **** trolls like you, Fox's Mercantile...
o Are the infantile pieces of **** who ruin Usenet for the rest of us.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 22:44:13 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Face it Buckwheat, they're on to you.

Worthless pieces of **** trolls like you, Fox's Mercantile...
o Are the infantile pieces of **** who ruin Usenet for the rest of us.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 10/9/20 6:29 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Worthless pieces of **** trolls like you, Fox's Mercantile...

Not very good at this are you?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 09:00:29 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 10/9/20 6:29 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Worthless pieces of **** trolls like you, Fox's Mercantile...

Not very good at this are you?

Kinda reminds me of a ping pong match. The ball goes back and forth
endlessly and nothing worthwhile happens until somone fumbles it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 07:58:27 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Kinda reminds me of a ping pong match. The ball goes back and forth
endlessly and nothing worthwhile happens until somone fumbles it.

Hi Jeff,

Jeff - please do not respond to this post unless you _understand_
1. I never respond to Fox's Mercantile unless/until he attacks me
(Bear in mind he _always_ attacks me!)
2. I'm only proving what Fox's Mercantile is - by pointing to what he does
(Bear in mind what he does proves he's an infantile piece of ****)

You're intelligent - you're a helpful person - so you need to know.
o It's not in the least the ping-pong what you just said it was.

This is not an even match of wits - for sure - given Fox's Mercantile is a
worthless piece of **** common troll of absolutely zero value whatsoever.

I repeat that this is not a ping-pong in the least...

For _two_ very good reasons
1. I ignore Fox's Mercantile in _every_ thread where he doesn't attack me
2. Everything I say about Fox's Mercantile is an easily verified fact

You can verify that fact yourself, Jeff - if you realize those two things
o Bear in mind I don't feed the trolls - except & only when they attack me.

If Fox's Mercantile didn't attack me - you wouldn't see _any_ of this.
o Because I ignore Fox's Mercantile simply because he _is_ a piece of ****.

I care that you _understand_ what I'm doing, Jeff...
o Since we are both compatriots in being purposefully helpful people.

And I care that you comprehend that I'm extremely well educated Jeff
o What I'm doing is what we're taught to do when cowardly bullies attack.

Fox's Mercantile is a cowardly bully who pays no penalty for his posts.
o He trolls my threads _every_ single time I post anything of value.

Given Fox's Mercantile is nothing but a worthless piece of **** troll..

I _never_ (ever!) never ever (never!) respond to Fox's Mercantile
... unless....
o Unless Fox's Mercantile plays his infantile games as he did here.

All I am doing, Jeff, is _proving_ that Fox's Mercantile is clearly
a. The aggressor here (I repeat: I _never_ respond to him otherwise!)
b. A worthless piece of common troll **** with an infantile brain.

Jeff - please do not respond to this post unless you _understand_
1. I never respond to Fox's Mercantile unless he attacks me
2. I'm only proving what Fox's Mercantile is - by pointing to what he does
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 09:00:29 -0500, Fox's Mercantile wrote:

Not very good at this are you?

I just proved to Jeff that you're a worthless piece of **** troll
o I proved I _never_ respond in any thread to you
o Unless and until you attack me out of the blue

What I care about isn't you worthless pieces of common troll ****
o I care about intelligent people - and helpful people

Like Jeff Liebermann clearly is.
o And I clearly am.

I'm sick and tired of your cowardly bullying Fox's Mercantile.
o Your infantile trolling is always detrimental to any thread topic.

You, Fox's Mercantile, are the worthless pieces of **** who ruin Usenet.

If Jeff thinks this is a ping-pong between you worthless pieces of **** and
me, then Jeff needs to realize I'm extremely well educated and far more
intelligent than you so it's not a ping-pong match of wits by any means.

Jeff needs to realize two very important things that I strategically do:
1. I never respond to worthless pieces of **** until/unless you attack me
(& you, Fox's Mercantile, _always_ attack me & always out of the blue)
2. I simply point to what you posted to prove you're a piece of ****
(& you, Fox's Mercantile, _always_ prove to be a worthless piece of ****)

I asked Jeff not to respond until/unless he comprehends these facts
o Which all he has to do is look at _this_ very thread to verify the facts.
--
These worthless pieces of **** like Fox's Mercantile are who ruin Usenet.