Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Tradesman - Price markup on parts

On 05/10/2020 15:45, bert wrote:
In article , Chris Green
writes
Chris B wrote:
I have just received an estimate from a tradesman (based on photographs
to save him the time of a visit) which includes £199Â* Plus VAT for
listed parts.

The very same parts are available from suppliers listed on amazon (not
amazon itself) for £96.98 Including VAT and delivery.

I know that part of the tradesman's profit comes from the Sale of parts
but I always thought that they bought parts from suppliers at trade
prices and then billed for them at retail prices.

Is a markup on parts of well over 100% typical in the building industry
or is this a simple indication that he doesn't want the job?

So far I only have one estimate, as I don't like wasting 3 peoples time
for jobs of less than half a day, when only one is going to get the job.

I am wondering if its worth getting any more or is this typical.

I think the 'tradesman' has a number of problems nowadays:-

Â*Â* If you shop around you can nearly always find bits and pieces more
Â*Â* cheaply on eBay or Amazon.

Â*Â* The tradesman needs to buy everything he uses quickly and simply
Â*Â* from just one or two suppliers, he can't spend his time searching
Â*Â* for the best price on the internet - time is money

Â*Â* The 'trade discount' may not be all that much, or even available
Â*Â* to a one-man business.

It *might* be worth asking if the tradesman would be happy if you
source the parts.

When my son wanted a cement mixer for his business (not then vat
registered) it was actually cheaper for me to buy it on my Diamond card
than for him to buy it on his trade account.

I remember a customer asking me to get him a scanner once (only a fairly
low end thing). So I checked with a trade supplier, and could get it for
(say) £60 + £10 P&P. I then checked an online retailer, and found I
could get it for £58 with free delivery. So I did that instead. I was
amused when it turned up that it had been drop shipped to me direct by
the original trade only wholesaler that quoted me £60 in the first place!

--
Cheers,

John.