Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tradesman - Price markup on parts

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
Says it all about many trades. They just go for the best deal, not the
best product.

Actually no, not in this case. We weren't changing makes to get a better
deal, we were doing it to boycott a particular manufacturer because they
had a policy of selling to the DIY sheds at a lower price than to the trade.
The change was mostly to the main competitor, and the quality was at
least as good.

I take it you think the price a maker sells something to various different
customers should be controlled by law?

No, unlike like you I'm not a statist/commie. They can sell at whatever
price pleases them and customers can vote with their feet. That's the
free market, an alien concept to the likes of you I think.

You're very wrong there, Bill.

But the idea of boycotting a product you once thought the best purely
because that company does a deal with someone else (without making a
difference to the price you pay) seems very odd to me. Unless of course
you are ashamed of charging a price for it which is now rather obviously
far more than the customer thinks it should be.

Most people can't put up their own external aerials. So just what a shed
may sell them for is neither hear nor there.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.