Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Arlen Holder Arlen   Holder is offline

Default WiFi out to 800 feet

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 13:59:43 -0400, wrote:

I have a good mount at the house, a DSS dish bracket that I am not
using. In fact I was thinking the dish might work with a little
hacking. I think the far end will end up on a 6" wood pole so that
should be pretty stable. I guess I need to do more reading on this.
Our plan B is to buy another WiFi connection from the cable company
but the cost is prohibitive and it requires 120v that we don't have so
that is even more money. I see plenty of solar WiFi cameras. They all
seem to want to use the cloud and I would rather keep this whole thing
in house if possible. I have enough residents protesting the camera
in the first place and if we are shipping it out to the internet that
would bother more of them. Some are ****ed at how many Ring cameras
are in the neighborhood. A black helicopter has them hiding under the
bed. ;-)

You must live in my neighborhood!

You bring up two important issues:
a. Power at the remote site 800 feet away, and,
b. The Fresnel zone of a pole only six feet tall

You can look up the Fresnel zone stuff separately, which, in my experience,
is more theoretical than practical since you just shove more directional
beam power to overcome the losses due to lack of height.

Power is an issue.

I'll ping "alt.internet.wireless" & "sci.electronics.repair" with this
post, who may be able to assist you more so than I can in how to set up the
power (be advised to ignore the three infants on s.e.r if they respond).

What we do here in the Santa Cruz mountains, where the zoning is 40 acres
per household, is "bucket routers" which are simply routers plugged into
anything we can plug them into, between homes when we need to clear
obstructions to our Line of Sight (LOS) WiFi transceivers.

But your suggestion of solar seems far better than bucket routers.
--
A "bucket router" is just a router under a bucket for weather protection.