Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tradesman - Price markup on parts

I think its a good point about the procurement, as somebody has to find the
parts and buy them, and that time has to be paid for of course.
I can remember a friend who used to repair electronic things before the
days of surface mount made it a job for the brave, and often he would get a
call from somebody who said a chip had gone, but he did not have the
confidence to change it himself, hoping that my friend would do it very
cheaply. Often he would do the job, but equally often the original person
did not take into account that the faulty chip might have been caused by a
fault elsewhere so he always checked the circuit and this made the bill
higher of course. but some people just won't accept this sort of knowledge
driven repair strategy.
I don't know about boilers but often the reason why boards are swapped is
not because changing the parts is hard but because the time taken to fault
find the pcb, would make the repair cost much higher.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 02/10/2020 21:24, John Rumm wrote:

100% might be taking the pee, although it depends on the market and the
product.

And maybe the price also has an allowance for some of the consumables to
fit it.