Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boilers

On 2020-09-30 18:58:53 +0000, John Rumm said:

With modern modulating boilers that is less of a problem in the past. A
boiler with a wide modulation range is also desirable. The Vaillant
24kW models often go do to around 6kW.

John, thanks for your suggesting about the PCBs but at 20 years old I
think it's time to replace the whole thing and also it will be quicker.

maybe you could find a similar used one & swap it, but probably you won't

One possible problem regarding rating and the way new boilers work -
our gas supply pipe to the current boiler is 15mm - is this likely to
be a problem for a condensing system boiler - I know it would be for a
combi boiler. Maybe there is a ceiling on rating or some makers only
specify 22mm.

Digging up the kitchen floor is not a great option...

In most cases a 24kW boiler is not permitted to run on 15mm now, current regs are more demanding re pressure drop. Worcester Bosch do a pdf:
Technical Training Bulletin: Natural Gas (G20) Supply Pipe Sizing.
that explains how to calculate what's required.

NT