Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boilers

On 30/09/2020 13:41, The Nomad wrote:
All assembled knowledgeable folk,

I fear the time has come, the ravenheat boiler has expired, no spark, fan
runs etc. etc. but not spark, not even the clicking from the igniter ...

Do I:

a) buy a new PCB and hope or

b) Get a new boiler - this one is knackered, rusty internally (DAHIK - IJD
- OK)

if b) as I suspect it will have to happen in the next short while anyway
Worcerster-Bosh, Vallaint or ???

Your thoughts on makes is welcomed

Regards

Avpx

Do you have a diagnostic chart for the boiler (sometimes found inside
the casing and/or in the installation manual)? There may also be some
LEDs to indicate how far it has got in its startup sequence.

There is probably a pressure switch which operates when the fan is
running fast enough to generate the required pressure. The pressure
switch needs to operate before the igniter will attempt to work. So, if
there's no signal from the pressure switch, it may be due to:
* fan not running fast enough
* pressure switch failure
* disconnected or broken rubber pressure hose(s)
to name but a few.

[I've experienced all of them at various times on my Baxi Solo boiler -
which I finally replaced just after its 30th birthday earlier this year.]

If you do decide that it's new boiler time, both Worcester Bosch and
Vaillant are pretty good. I had a new WB boiler fitted in my holiday
flat a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with it. And I
recently had a Vaillant boiler fitted in my main home, to replace the
old Baxi. That seems pretty good, too - AND came with a 10-year
warranty. One consideration for me was that space constraints meant that
the boiler needed to have its flue coming straight of the back rather
coming out of the top with an elbow to go out through the wall. WB flues
all come out of the top, whereas many Vaillant boilers can have either
top or rear flues.

--
Cheers,
Roger