Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Boilers

On 30/09/2020 14:59, John Smith wrote:
On 2020-09-30 12:41:40 +0000, The Nomad said:

a) buy a new PCB and hope or

b) Get a new boiler - this one is knackered, rusty internally (DAHIK -
IJD
- OK)

if b) as I suspect it will have to happen in the next short while anyway
Worcerster-Bosh, Vallaint or ???

We are in the same position - old Vaillant conked out. I have a repair
guy coming later today and he has parts and I will ask for an opinion on
whether it's better to replace it. He is an authorised Ideal installer
but can work on anything.

I had another firm in the morning to quote, which they are doing.

On makes, the consensus I reckon is that Vaillant is the best - better
build than Worcester according to this morning's chap, and easy to work
on. Which? also scores Vaillant the highest.

Don't install one that is overated - our house has 16 rads/hot water
cylinder but a 24kw boiler is OK.

With modern modulating boilers that is less of a problem in the past. A
boiler with a wide modulation range is also desirable. The Vaillant 24kW
models often go do to around 6kW. If you also go for split temperature
operation[1] and weather compensation[2] it can make for a very quiet
and comfortable setup, with just the right amount of heat when you need
it, little overshoot, and no clanking and clicking in the heating system
most of the time.

[1] Allows the boiler to run much lower flow temps to the rads for
higher condensing efficiency, and less system noise.

[2] Uses an outside temperature sensor to influence flow temperature
(often combined with a preset heatloss curve set for the building), so
it runs cooler when the weather is mild, and hotter when it gets colder.

(it also means the thermostat behaves more like many people seem to
expect - turn it up higher and the system will actually heat up faster!)

--
Cheers,

John.