Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Improving WiFi

On 25/09/2020 21:40, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Thanks for all the useful advice. I think it will be a WAP and I am
interested in the prospect of PoE as a CCTV system we are considering
uses this for power and data transmission. Currently the wired part
of my network consists of a single CAT 5e cable going to a 4 port
switch that connects to a Web enabled TV and my grandsons
Playstation. Since the Sky modem/router only has two ports and both
are occupied one the Hive Hub and the previously mentioned cable it
looks like I need another switch does that have to be a specific PoE
enabled type or will any bog standard one suffice? The rest of the
shopping list will be a PoE power injector and possibly a power
splitter to power the switch. Any gotchas regards using PoE with
legacy equipment?

You can get PoE injectors if you just need to power a single PoE
device[1], but if you need to do several, then a PoE switch is a better
bet.

There should not be any compatibility problems with older kit, since
unless its setup to use PoE, ethernet kit will not even "see" the
voltage on the wires since the sockets are magnetically isolated, and
the network bit is looking for a differential mode signal, so stray DC
has no effect.

Take a bit of care with the PoE standards supported if you plan to add
motorised CCTV cameras, since some of them will need the 802.3bt "4PPoE"
standard that can supply more power than the older spec versions.

[1] Note that there is some cheap kit out there that claims to use PoE
but is not actually using standard IEEE 802.3 PoE, and just comes with a
proprietary injector. That will likely not work with a real PoE feed.

--
Cheers,

John.