Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Improving WiFi

On 25/09/2020 16:43, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I am using a Sky modem/router which generally gives quite good WiFi throughout the house even outside and in the garage. However in the kitchen there is one smart socket that seems to lose its WiFi connection on occasion and given time will usually re-establish a connection. However it has sometimes been down when we required it which meant waiting till it sorted itself out or manually reconnect it. So I am looking at a solution to make it more reliable. I am however confused about some of the hardware supposed to make the system work better and have a few questions for those in the know.

1. What is the difference between a wireless access point, a WiFi extender and a Mesh system?

WAP generally takes ethernet and broadcasts wifi. Extender takes wifi
and broadcasts wifi. Mesh is the same but does it intelligently.

2. Which of the above would give the me the best result, crucially without affecting the performance of other WiFi connected devices?

probably WAP, if you have nearby ethernet

3. What is involved in the installation of each of the above such as connections and powering?

all need power. WAP needs ethernet

Incidentally, the smart socket is used to power some €ślanding€ť lights along the edge of the driveway to help reversing in the dark, using a smart socket enables us to use the Alexa App to switch on/off the lights as required.

Richard

--
€śwhen things get difficult you just have to lie€ť

€• Jean Claud JĂĽncker