Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Mistake!

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
polygonum_on_google writes
On Wednesday, 23 September 2020 15:24:50 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
I tried installing Avast on W7pro 32bit.

Now I'm struggling to uninstall it:-(

I think you might need one or more of the uninstaller tools.

Windows is said to be uninstalling it but 45minutes?

I want to get rid of the *secure* browser that piggy backed in with it.

It's apparently a Chrome-alike. Chrome-alikes may use the same
delivery mechanism, which is a compressed file with an uninstaller
executable next to it. Of course, being Avast, they don't
have to do it this way. This is just a hint. And it's probably
too late anyway, as an in-flight operation would likely block
any other attempts at removal. OSes don't like running parallel
uninstalls, from a state-tracking perspective.

Find the setup which is next to a ~150MB .7z file, which holds
a copy of the entire installation.

if a chromium installation:

setup.exe --uninstall

if a chrome installation:

setup.exe --uninstall --multi-install --chrome --system-level

******* End - Previous instructions for Chrome *******

However. Avast do provide a separate tool for removal.

https://support.avast.com/en-nz/arti...Secure-Browser

https://download.avastbrowser.com/av..._uninstall.exe

Since I can only get their blasted product by using a 3.1MB stub
installer, no, I'm not testing that. If they'd provided a
standalone installer file, I could take a look for telltale signs.

*******

By the way, you only install Avast after doing a backup...
Because, reasons... What would those reasons be I wonder ?
Something to to with the history of Avast and their
shenanigans ???

Always check Wiki for a "Controversy" section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast

"Controversy"

Paul