default

Default What is recommended insulation?

Yes, that is why I asked the original question. I want to get the best that
I can afford. I understand it won't be like the rich folks have but I hope
it is better than what they originally put in this place when it was built.
This is not a severe climate like when I lived in New England with 30 below
in winter and also not like when I lived in Arizona with 120 degree
temperatures in summer. Middle Tennessee has a mild climate, an occasional
zero degree day or two but the norm is in the 20's during the coldest part
of winter and very often in the 50's. I don't have central heat so it's easy
to save by not heating the bedroom during the day and then not heating the
livingroom and kitchen at night.

The way heat loss works, a small area with really low R values will
suck more heat out of the house than a large area with only moderate
R values. So if you have a choice between fixing single-pane
windows and adding another 4" of insulation in the attic, do the windows.
Deal with drafts and air-leaks first, THEN the ceiling, and THEN the
walls. If you've got the headroom, you can glue or screw rigid foam
to the underside of the ceiling, and then cover that with sheetrock.

--Goedjn