Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT Halfords rant

On 16 Sep 2020 13:17:44 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

I always say 'Hi', 'Ok' or 'afternoon' etc, smile, respond positively to
any chat (whilst paying / taking receipts / tokens etc), say 'thank you
etc ... and when the car wash locks up halfway though it's cycle, it
could be the same person who may have to come out and fix it for you,
and *that's* when the friendliness you showed them may pay off (I don't
do it for that, I would do it anyway).

I quite agree. My wife and I often gently bicker in teh queue. It usually
raises a smile!

;-)

And I always chat to the checkout operator, but not
enough to interfere with their work.

Quite. Logic tells us it's likely not the best paid job in the world,
probably not the best conditions either (long shifts) and because some
people can be thoughtless / nasty pratts, not even a job you would
want anyone to *have* to do.

I know the local Aldi ones quite well, now. Although I always avoid one
of them (my son, who isn't allowed to serve me).

I bet he has some tales as to what some people can be like?

And I'm not even talking about those with a valid grievance re having
to return a genuinely faulty item and having to wait because the store
is particularly busy and manager tied up with another 'issue' ...but
just because they think they have the right to shout at someone on the
checkout for any trivial reason.

If I was 'Security' there I don't think I'd last a shift without
decking someone. ;-(

But then it seems to be a general decline in respect for anyone by
(luckily) a minority, even respect for the ordinary Bobbie on the
street.

Cheers, T i m