Tony Hwang

Default What is recommended insulation?

rck wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
news:nkjBc.824106$oR5.292001@pd7tw3no...

Hi,
Poor insulation costs more energy making you poorer!
Tony

Yes, that is why I asked the original question. I want to get the best that
I can afford. I understand it won't be like the rich folks have but I hope
it is better than what they originally put in this place when it was built.
This is not a severe climate like when I lived in New England with 30 below
in winter and also not like when I lived in Arizona with 120 degree
temperatures in summer. Middle Tennessee has a mild climate, an occasional
zero degree day or two but the norm is in the 20's during the coldest part
of winter and very often in the 50's. I don't have central heat so it's easy
to save by not heating the bedroom during the day and then not heating the
livingroom and kitchen at night.

Bob

Hi,
Fiberglass loses R value when compressed. So in a 2X4 cavity snug fit
fiberglass will have about R12. Rigid styrofoam has more R value but it
costs more. Also sealing all the air infiltrating gaps is good idea as
well. Aand vapor barrier.
good luck,
Tony
(Cold rainy father's day. Wife and kids are taking me to Lobster feast
for a treat)