Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Removing dried WD-40

In article ,
says...

I know some think of WD-40 as the "go to" for everything, but
After hosing something down, 5-10 years later the volatile
solvents have evaporated leaving behind a stiff gunk.

So, my question is how do you remove it?
For example on a typewriter that some idiot hosed it down with.

I have an old teletype machine that the previous owner did the same
thing to. It finally go so bad it would not print. I mixed up some
Ed's Red gun cleaner and it cleaned out all the old gunk. Then used some
good grade of oil to lubercate it.

It is kerosene (which I understand part of wd 40 is) automatic
transmission fluid, acetone, and something like varsal in equal
portions. Just Google Ed's Red for the mix.