Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems accessing NAS

On 10/09/2020 09:16, No Name wrote:
On 10/09/2020 07:49, Graeme wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 10/09/2020 07:33, Graeme wrote:

Or that.Â* I know the IP address of the router, and I'm sure our
externalÂ* 'Zen' IP address is fixed, but beyond that ...
Yep, your Zen IP is static/fixed and will not change but its the box
IP that matters and the chances with a typical domestic set-up that
will remain the same.

Having done a little reading, I have found and opened Hosts (with
Notepad), and there are a million entries by Spybot, and one for
Demon, who I left years ago.

All the Spybot entries and the one Demon entry point to localhost
127.0.0.1.Â* There are no entries identifying anything within our home
network - I was expecting xxx.x.x.x my laptop xxx.x.x.x wife's laptop
xxx.x.x.x printer etc., or have I misunderstood?

You can put in your own entries in the LMhosts file in the form you
mention. This will work well if (a) you are using static addresses and
(b) you do the same on *all* machines but I can't see that being
possible on the Ipad!

I think this is all a red herring. SMB servers advertise themselves on a
local area network using a particular protocol

" nmbd

The nmbd server daemon understands and replies to NetBIOS name service
requests such as those produced by SMB/CIFS in Windows-based systems.
These systems include Windows 95/98/ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000,
Windows XP, and LanManager clients. It also participates in the browsing
protocols that make up the Windows Network Neighborhood view. The
default port that the server listens to for NMB traffic is UDP port 137.
The nmbd daemon is controlled by the smb service. "

So if nmbd is running on the NAS a properly configured client will 'see'
it in the networks window"

Also samba does not use Netbeui, so netbios and TCP/IP must be enabled
for anything to work at all.

--
€śPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman