Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Problems accessing NAS

No Name wrote:
On 09/09/2020 17:22, Graeme wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 09/09/2020 12:55, Graeme wrote:

I cannot map a network drive from her laptop to the NAS,

try typing in the search box in the bottom bar of the Win10 screen

\\192.168.178.xx

It Works! Thank you - that seems to have solved the problem. I
didn't do quite as you said, because wife's laptop doesn't have the
search option, so instead, when trying to map a network drive, in the
browse box, I entered the IP address and up it came. From there,
mapping the contents of each partition was straightforward. Thank
you. Brownie points earned :-)

Ah... if you can access it via IP but not via Hostname then that sounds
like an issue with NetBIOS and/or Netbeui or you need to create a
Hostnames list.

Lets hope ou have static IP addresses.... otherwise the IP addresses
could change when the DHCP leases are renewed. (probably not an issue
for teh router as that generally stays the same IP address.

S.

Check and see if the two Services that begin with
the word "Function" are running. They're like
"Function Discovery" or similar. That might have
something to do with nameserving.

Homegroups (deprecated) uses a total of seven services.
The two Function ones were part of that. Some of those
services might be shared with other functions like Workgroups,
which is why you can check those to see if they started or not.

I always turn on the SMBV1 (two of three entries) in
Windows Features, because my subnet has one WinXP machine.

Paul