Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name No Name is offline

Default Problems accessing NAS

On 10/09/2020 07:49, Graeme wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 10/09/2020 07:33, Graeme wrote:

Or that.Â* I know the IP address of the router, and I'm sure our
externalÂ* 'Zen' IP address is fixed, but beyond that ...

Yep, your Zen IP is static/fixed and will not change but its the box
IP that matters and the chances with a typical domestic set-up that
will remain the same.

Having done a little reading, I have found and opened Hosts (with
Notepad), and there are a million entries by Spybot, and one for Demon,
who I left years ago.

All the Spybot entries and the one Demon entry point to localhost
127.0.0.1.Â* There are no entries identifying anything within our home
network - I was expecting xxx.x.x.x my laptop xxx.x.x.x wife's laptop
xxx.x.x.x printer etc., or have I misunderstood?

You can put in your own entries in the LMhosts file in the form you
mention. This will work well if (a) you are using static addresses and
(b) you do the same on *all* machines but I can't see that being
possible on the Ipad!

You may want to check to see if you can create a Hosts or a FQDN list
file on the Fritz box, I know nothing about Fritz bioxe....

Check your NetBIOS status on all of your machines

Go to Network and Sharing Center.
Click "Change adapter settings."
Select your network adapter (e.g., "Local Area Connection")
Click "Change settings for this connection"
Select "Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click the
"Properties" button
Click the "Advanced" button on the "General" tab
Select the "WINS" tab
Select the radio button to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
OK your way out

This was more necessary in XP, because Win 7 and 10 is supposed to check
to see if the DHCP server (i.e., your router) provides the NetBIOS
setting and enables NetBIOS

if the DHCP server does not provide a setting (home routers do not).

Still, it wouldn't hurt to explicitly enable NetBIOS.