Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme[_7_] Graeme[_7_] is offline

Default Problems accessing NAS

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

I can 'see' the drive, left clicking it shows the usual properties
i.e. capacity and left clicking it just tells me This Folder is Empty.

sounds like permissions, these can apply to the share itself, or to the
files and folders, can you create a new file in the "empty" folder?

Andy, no, in that left clicking brings up a limited menu that does not
include New Folder.

However, progress. Fritzbox software is up to date. I shut down all 3
laptops then cold booted the Fritzbox and the attached NAS, then booted
wife's laptop only.

I cannot map a network drive from her laptop to the NAS, which has 5
partitions, each of which is mapped as a drive on my laptop. When I
click Map Network Drive under Explorer, on my laptop I see Fritzbox, my
laptop and any other laptop that is running. On wife's, I see only her
laptop.

Using Explorer on wife's laptop, selecting This PC on the left, I can
see the Fritzbox and the partitions on the right, so I left clicked the
'Films' partition and selected Pin to Quick Access. That then appeared
as a folder on the left of Explorer, and clicking it brought up a list
of files on the right. Random tested a few, and they work.

Then, I booted my laptop which worked as before - both laptops now able
to play the same or two different films perfectly, and simultaneously.

Strangely, when I look at the list of films (which are not all the same
file type) on my laptop, I see all the films and any associated srt
(subtitle) files. On wife's, I see only the film files, not the
subtitles. Similarly, looking at another partition, called Music, I see
the complete content via my laptop, but not hers. I haven't worked out
the logic of the files on her laptop I can't see, yet.

So, getting there, and usable, but still not 100% right.

--
Graeme