Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name No Name is offline

Default Problems accessing NAS

On 09/09/2020 08:13, Graeme wrote:
In message , Paul
writes
Graeme wrote:
Â*This is a continuation of the Fritzbox story, whereby the Fritzbox
has aÂ* USB hard drive plugged in, which I can see and access
perfectly via myÂ* laptop, but not via wife's laptop.Â* Both connected
by wi-fi.

You could try "Show Hidden Files".

Thanks Paul.Â* I have set Show Hidden Files and Show File Extensions, but
am no further forward.

I can 'see' the drive, left clicking it shows the usual properties i.e.
capacity and left clicking it just tells me This Folder is Empty.

I have set up a third laptop in similar manner, with identical results,
and have convinced myself I am missing something blindingly obvious,
which is somewhat annoying.Â* I just can't understand how I set up my own
laptop perfectly yet have failed miserably with two others.

Thinking further, what I can see from wife's laptop is the whole drive,
not the individual partitions I see from my own laptop.

I had an issue with my 5 NAS drives suddenly becoming inaccessible.

I tracked it down to a Windows 10 upgrade switching off SMB 1.0 and
enabling SMB 2.0 and SMB 3.0.

( SMB is SAMBA )

Only trouble was that all 5 NAS drives only supported SMB 1.0 and the
manufacturers had End of Lifed them so upgrading the firmware to SMB 2.0
or SMB 3.0 was out of the question.

Fortunately, you can actually re-enable SMB 1.0 in Windows 1o via the
Windows Features app in Control panel.

Be warned though, SMB 1.0 is full of security holes as that was why it
was switched off in a Winodws 10 update. SO to protect my security I
disabled remote access via the router and also disabled remote access on
all 5 NAS drives.

I also implemented a MAC address white list and strong passphrase on the
Wifi network too.

S.