Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael_A_Terrell Michael_A_Terrell is offline

Default Small VHF Transmitter

wrote:
On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 4:29:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
wrote:
On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 1:04:50 PM UTC-4, Fox's Mercantile wrote:
On 9/1/20 11:19 AM, Michael_A_Terrell wrote:
Let me know if that doesn't pan out.
I am sending Peter a Blonder Tongue Agile Modulator.
Model: AM 40-450 Stock No. 59406.
Complete with a manual for setting the output channel
dip switches.

Nice. It would appear that you are not the prick most people in other hemispheres would have us believe.

Many many moons ago when cable TV was still analog, I put an A/B switch on the main line of my cable and used the B side to feed my distribution amp in which the output was connected to a set of rabbit ears and the A side to feed the cable box. That setup broadcast the whole VHF spectrum to any TV in the shop I would put a clip lead to. One day the cable guy comes in - they had been driving around "sniffing" for leakage, and my store was a real hotspot. He thought I had an open ground, but I told him I knew where the bad crimp was and threw the switch to A and the problem went away. The next day I went back to using the B side and a couple of months later they came in again, so they must have sniffed routinely , so I abandoned the plan. I should have tried broadcasting the output of the box alone - maybe they wouldn't have bothered me if it was a narrow spectrum.

That stunt could have wiped out communications for emergency
vehicles on the VHF high band, the two meter ham band and airports. You
could have indirectly caused people to die.

Well, that might explain the several near misses of aircraft at 15000ft over our city... FFS, do you honestly think a milliwatt output into a pair of rabbit ears with a range of about 15 - 20 feet would end emergency communications and civilization as well? I have a feeling your broadcast "career" was wiring up TVs for Chucky Cheese - and you were paid in pizza and Sprite..

Sigh. I was a broadcast engineer for AFRTS in the '70s while I was in
the US Army. I have the distinction of being the only one to ever test
out of the three year 26T20 school while in Basic. It was a combination
of Electrical Engineering, and Broadcast Engineering. My score was over
90%, the average score was 20%. I also have a letter of Commendation
from a two star general for the job I did, rebuilding the station at Ft.
Greely, Alaska. I worked for Weathervision, at Ft. Rucker. We provided
two channels of weather data for the flight school, along with ten
channels of ETV for the flight school and Infantry school. We built one
of the first remote switching for the civilian cable TV that served the
base. A custom, high isolation RF switch was connected were it entered
the base. At the flip of a switch in th ETV building took it over, and
all 12 channels carried the same information. It was only used during
emergencies. It was powered through a dedicated pair provided by our
telecommunications section.

Later on, I worked for WACX in Orlando, Florida. We were on Ch 55,
with a 5MW EIRP from a 1700 foot tower.

After that, I was the 'Engineer of Record' when I built WMRX under
the FCC construction permit, in Destin Florida. It was on Ch 58.

Aircraft used AM radio with a sensitivity in the singe digit
microvolt levels. If we could detect the leakage from blocks away, it is
radiating more than you think. The system I worked for in Cincinnati,
Ohio provided +10dBmv for each drop. You do the math.

When you have more than one idiot doing intention leakage, it adds
up to enough radiation to cause problems. Some cable channels were not
allowed to be used near airports, because of this. What you think,
doesn't really matter. It is what the FCC requires. If they drive one of
their monitoring vans through your service area and detect leakage, the
cable system is fined.

I've never been in a Chucky Cheese. Enjoy playing with the other
children, when you're there.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.