Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Fixing a sillcock ...

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 31 Aug 2020 16:08:11 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a sillcock that is leaking. looked up the manufacture (Nibco), they provided a listing of all outdated sillcocks that they use to manufacture, but are now discontinued. You can view some images he
https://ibb.co/PwL8LCN

Its a frost proof version that has the working valve ~12" back in the house, but it looks like it leaking around the hand-wheel.

Can find a repair kit and just replace some gaskets or do I need to replace the whole unit. If I do need a full replacement, the basement has a finished w/drywall ceiling. Do I need to cut a whole in the ceiling to get to the connection ? or can the whole unit be changed from the outside ?

I presume you saw my post where I'm sure it's just the stempacking, no
need to mess with the inside of the house.

But for the record, they make screw-in frost proof valves, that, if that
was used to begin with, could conceivalby could be replaced without
going inside the house except to turn the main water valve off.

https://www.amazon.com/Prier-P-164D1...9103634&sr=8-5

On second thought, I don't think you could loosen it without a wrench on
the other part of the pipe, or tighten it enough to not leak without
that wrench. But if you don't like to put holes in sheetrock, it would
be worth trying, if somehow you knew the original valve screwed on.

There are also sharkbite frostfree valves, again if you knew it had
sharkbite already and there is a way to undo sharkbite from the outside
of the house.

Not likely you're in either situation so it's good you don't have to do
this anyhow.

You can see the historical document he http://www.nibco.com/WorkArea/Downlo...t.aspx?id=7414

Scroll down the version w/Tulip handle.

Any help is appreciated.