Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael_A_Terrell Michael_A_Terrell is offline

Default Small VHF Transmitter

wrote:
Thank you all for the information and suggestions. I will be able to test the concept with our big Sony CRT type TV we brought back from Saudi as it has an on-board OTA tuner with NTSC/PAL/SECAM compatibility. So, I will report back when it arrives from Ranger, TX. And. after Kutztown, I will report on range.

One thing that wasn't mentioned. The output level is +35 to +45 dB.
That can damage some TV tuners. A pair of 20 dB pads in series will give
you an output of -5 to +5 dB which is the normal range for tuners. Even
when connected to an antenna, you may want one 20 dB pad to limit the range.

The only 75 ohm pads that I have on hand are 6 dB. If I had any 20
dB available I would send you some. It would take seven of the 6 dB pads
to get the output into the normal range. Maybe Jeff has a couple that he
can spare,if you don't already have them?

A last resort is to make your own. 20 dB per stage is the most you
want to homebrew, per stage. Above that requires careful positioning of
the leads, and extra shielding.

RF Cafe has an online calculator for both Tee and PI types. Set the
input and output both to 75 Ohms, then enter the attenuation, per stage.
Then click the 'Calculate' button. You are probably familiar with the
formulas but some of the others who are reading the thread, aren't.

https://www.rfcafe.com/references/calculators/attenuator-calculator.htm

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.