Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default powabyke conversion

On Tuesday, 1 September 2020 22:04:07 UTC+1, AJH wrote:
On 01/09/2020 00:31, Theo wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

No way is the OP paying £200 for 7Ah of LA, unless they have no idea what
they're doing. £200 for 3 lead acids would buy what... dunno but maybe
50Ah or so. Lithium is always going to cost more per Ah than LA.

The Powabyke batteries can be opened up and the SLA batteries replaced
(usually 3x 12V) - they're just regular Yuasa/etc. However an e-bike with a
lead acid battery is a fairly dismal experience - lightweight lithium ion
will make it much nippier and more manoeurvable.

Theo

Yes the sla battery is rated at 12Ah and 36V with three in series so
about £115. The biggest Makita drill battery is 5Ah and two of them come
in about 100 quid. The Natural philosopher's link is a 36V battery and
4Ah for 75quid but I would need a separate charger.

I'm not sure how one can relate the usable capacity of a lead acid to a
lipoly i.e. how many Watt hours would I be able to draw out of either
battery to a non damaging depth of discharge.

I dunno where you're getting those prices, they're way OTT. Shop around & avoid the non-buggy/mobility types.

For a ballpark I recently looked at 7Ah 12v at somewhere around £15-20 each.
One can also find used lead acids at car boots for not much, if you're overly brave.

NT