Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Lights

On Tue, 01 Sep 2020 13:22:41 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 22:37:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/31/2020 3:01 PM, wrote:
On Monday, August 31, 2020 at 3:20:54 AM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Got some new lights wired up in the garage. I show them to my wife as I'm
thinking of buying more for the basement, and she says "you can't have
nicer lights in the garage than I have in my living room."

Now she's encouraging me to buy more lights so I can brighten up the living
room. I sure didn't expect that. :-)

Puckdropper

I'm guessing your wife said "nicer lights in the garage" because they are BRIGHTER than the ones in the living room. Not really because they are fancier or more elegant or whatever. I bet if you put up 25 of those single bulb basement lights and had a 100 watt bulb in each, she would still say they are nicer in your garage than your living room because they are so bright. If you don't want to put new lights, brighter lights, in the living room, you could put really dim bad bulbs in the garage lights. Show her how unbright they are. Then in a month or so she will forget about it and you can put the good bright bulbs back in.

That is a possibility. Bright in the living room is not better though.
Reading lights or a warm light while watching TV makes more sense. I'd
find out for sure what she wants before changing things.

For the living room, you will not want the bluish light common in
shops - far too harsh. My wife likes the ~3000 K LEDs with very high
Color Rendition Index (CRI), so colors don't look wierd. She hates
the shop light look.

As other have mentioned, most home-use LEDs don't dim well or at all.
For applications where dimming is essential, I stick with
incandescent.

Industrial overhead LED lamp units can be fully dimmable.

For navigation to the bathroom at night, I use a LED based nightlinght
that turns off when the room is already lit.

Joe Gwinn

We have dimmable 5k to 6K LEDs throughout the house. Don't have
fimmers on all of them but I use dimmable bulbs everywhere for
consistancy (except for the flourescent tube replacements) The only
non LEDs I have left are decor bulbs in the bathroom - and they will
be replaced with LEDs when the next bulb blows as I have no more
"spares". The price and availability of the specialty LEDs gets better
by the month.