Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Snapped earth behind socket, options?

On 29/08/2020 13:45, wrote:
On Friday, 28 August 2020 17:36:23 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 07:59:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
On Friday, 28 August 2020 14:21:57 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Are the regulations in RoI same as UK?

No. Similar but not the same.

I think most of Europe uses insulated cpc in cables.

Interesting. Looking again, it says:

RoHS approved BASEC and BS6004 approved 100 metre coil. Insulated
earth which meets regualtions in the Republic of Ireland.

This implies the earth needs to be insulated in RoI but not in UK.
Why is this? What is the point of insulating the earth - unless
maybe in case someone connects it to the live by mistake. However,
does insulating it not make such mistake more likely as at present
the earth is clearly distinguishable by *not* being insulated.

Is an insulated earth permitted in the UK?

I wonder if you might be making the mistake of thinking there must be
a good sensible reason for regulations. If there is one for
insulating the CPC, it's a mystery to me.

There is no benefit to insulating its full length in the cable that I
can see, but there are sound reasons for insulating it at the point of
use. Otherwise there is a real risk that when dressing wires into an
enclosure the CPC will make contact with live or neutral. The former is
annoying but relatively easy to fix, the latter creating a latent fault
that may be lurking and causing grief for years.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |