Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Win10 and a KVM switch.

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:20:05 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

I have similar between a 40" TV VGA input and a 4 port VGA KVM and a
W10 ITX PC I built that has both VGA and HDMI outputs. W10 gets very
confused [1], often only outputting on the disconnected HDMI port and
not the VGA.

Only using the video card DVI output on the PC.

Yeah, and I was only *intending* using the VGA output on my PC, W10
seemed to want to do different (on the big TV, ok on the smaller TV,
even with nothing plugged into the PC HDMI port at the time of booting
/ switching). ;-(

snip

The old PC worked just fine with the same monitor and KVM switch.

I think it might be more the 'Old OS' (W7) than PC Dave?

With the
proviso that if you didn't switch to it before waking it up, it selected
the wrong resolution, but easily corrected. With this one, the only way to
get back to the correct resolution is with a re-boot.

Yeah, I've had that and so (probably like you) make sure you are
switched to the newly turned on PC, for a while at least. Mostly it's
ok without doing that though.

I'm currently KVM'ing between XP on this Mac Mini, W10 / Mint 18 /
Other OS's on another box (swappable drive bay), W10 on a slimline
Shuttle and often something I'm playing with, be it a RPi (with HDMI
VGA adaptor) or a laptop I'm repairing that has a faulty screen etc.

Upstairs I swap between a replacement for the Mac Mini I've been
building / testing for a while, a 'TV PC' (that's due to stay there),
A PC that should be with my 3D printer (and will be when daughter
takes more of her stuff g) and anything else I'm working on (for
myself or others). ;-)

Daughter has the same with her main desktop PC (that was her step
sisters), the Slimline Shuttle NAS (that mostly runs headless) and the
last PC she built for herself when she lived here but ended up using a
an i3 laptop we were given. ;-)

I have tried all sorts of screen sharing and virtual keyboards but
find nothing as flexible / durable / simple as the Aten KVM switches
(apart from the very occasional funny). ;-)

Cheers, T i m