Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win10 and a KVM switch.

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
I interpret your description, as a resolution change. You had
one resolution before sleeping the computer, now it's selected
a different resolution, based on something that happened.

If I look at display settings, there is only a choice of two - both
ancient 4:3 ones, with this condition. And instead of the monitor name,
says KVM.

Your KVM isn't passing through the EDID (DDC) info, so your PC thinks it's
connected to an old VGA monitor. Given that it says 'KVM' it suggests the
PC is successfully talking to the KVM, but the KVM is giving the wrong
answers.

That's what it looks like. But only after the PC wakes up from sleep mode.
With it running, I can swap between the two as often as I like without
problem.

With the old Win7 PC, if I woke that up without it being selected, it was
on the wrong resolution. But could be corrected via display settings.

You can get 'EDID emulator' boxes that lie to the PC as to what EDID is
attached, eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gefen-DVI...e/133363100740
which might avoid that problem - you hook up the monitor to the box and
record the EDID. Then you plug the box into the computer and it thinks
that kind of monitor is always attached, even when the KVM removes it.

It should be something the KVM does itself, though. Perhaps there's a
setting somewhere?

I'll see if I can find the instructions.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.