Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Win10 and a KVM switch.

On Saturday, 29 August 2020 at 05:47:12 UTC+1, jon wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:01:38 +0100, GB wrote:

On 28/08/2020 21:24, Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
I interpret your description, as a resolution change. You had one
resolution before sleeping the computer, now it's selected a
different resolution, based on something that happened.

If I look at display settings, there is only a choice of two - both
ancient 4:3 ones, with this condition. And instead of the monitor
name,
says KVM.

Your KVM isn't passing through the EDID (DDC) info, so your PC thinks
it's connected to an old VGA monitor. Given that it says 'KVM' it
suggests the PC is successfully talking to the KVM, but the KVM is
giving the wrong answers.

You can get 'EDID emulator' boxes that lie to the PC as to what EDID is
attached, eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gefen-DVI...Store-Instant-

Switching-problem-solving-device/133363100740
which might avoid that problem - you hook up the monitor to the box and
record the EDID. Then you plug the box into the computer and it thinks
that kind of monitor is always attached, even when the KVM removes it.

It should be something the KVM does itself, though. Perhaps there's a
setting somewhere?

Theo

I use two PCs at the moment with a very basic KVM. (Aten CS22U) One PC
is W10 and the other is XP. It just works, I'm afraid.

I realise that this is no help at all with your issue, but I thought it
might give you hope.

I used a KVM switch about ten years a to select any one of three computers
for the monitor. That was all superseded long ago when I got an Asus 27"
monitor with multiple inputs. I only have two computers computers
connected now and I do the switching directly on the monitor. The cabling
is very much neater.

Same here. One monitor with two inputs. Works perfectly for what I want.